Tuesday 14 December 2010

Day 6 –Thursday 18 November

The lady that started and runs the orphanage is called Mama Jane. She announced a few days ago to Sara that there will be a party on Saturday for Universal Children’s Day and we were to contribute so we started organising what party games we could play like pass the parcel, team games and races, musical statues etc. We spent today getting very excited about it all and then came this …..

Mame Jane sent a messenger with a long list of things she wanted us to buy and hire including chairs, canopies, a brass band, food and drinks for ‘special guests’… the list went on and on and we were expected to pay for it all! This is how we understood it from the message relayed to us anyway.

This caused outrage… well, a little bit of anger…. with the rest of us volunteers as we felt like we were being forced into paying for something that wasn’t really to help the kids at all and that is not where our money was meant to go. We are not human ATMS but already felt that way on several occasions….We ended up getting in such a state about it all that we demanded a meeting with Mama Jane to tell her we weren’t paying for it. All our excitement and party planning now went out the window and we all felt a little down in the dumps….

That night around 1am I woke with a start…. There was a loud banging noise like someone was trying to break in… I thought maybe I had dreamt it… I’d been having some strange dreams since I’d arrived…. and I rolled over and tried to get back to sleep… then I heard ‘is anyone else awake?’…it was Lindsay…. I said I was and she asked if I’d heard that… that’s when I knew I wasn’t dreaming! Crystal and Sara then woke up and asked what was going on… Lindsay and I explained what we heard and then Lindsay said she had also heard a gurgling sound outside our window like someone was being choked…. Suitably scared by now and Lindsay with a swiss army knife in her hand, we decided to wake the boys in the next room to investigate. The others were too scared to leave the room in case someone was in the house so I sneaked out of our room into the boys room and woke Matt and Azar. I explained what was going on and then the 3 of us investigated. We checked out the front window where we could see Abu (our little old guard who I’d forgotten to tell you about until now… he’s a tiny old man that is our night guard, but is usually around during the day too! He likes to sweep the dirt around our yard in the middle of the night and wakes me up doing this most nights!). He was fast asleep on the porch… he wasn’t being choked after all nor was it him trying to get in… we explored the rest of the house and found the kitchen inside door was not locked like usual and the outside door lock (a bit of wood across the frame) was twisted and not on properly so we fixed it and thoroughly checked the house. We determined that there was nothing to be afraid of and all went back to bed, emergency over!

No comments:

Post a Comment