Friday 12 November 2010

18 days.... 13 hours....:D

18 days until I turn 30... but only 13 hours until I begin my trip to Ghana. Boy has it come around fast!!!! I am leaving my house around 4am tomorrow to get to the airport where I will take a plane to Amsterdam, wait there for around 4 hours and then fly on to Ghana. I shall be arriving in Ghana sometime around 8pm tomorrow night (7pm here I think!). I will spend the night at the volunteer house in Accra then spend Sunday getting used to climate and my new surroundings and meeting other volunteers before being driven to my placement on Monday.

I'm very excited now but also quite nervous. I have been chatting to a few volunteers who will be starting at the same time as me, some at the same orphanage and others at different ones. I'm going to be placed at WORSCA orphanage in Dodowa, unless it gets changed at orientation on Monday. I've also been chatting to afew volunteers who are out there already so I will be able to get on to the internet at some point during my stay and update you all on my progress. Apparently the computers are very old and internet connection poor but I will do what I can. I have been learning the stories of some of the kids out there too and it's heartbreaking what these young children go through. I know this trip will be emotional and I'm sure I won't want to come back!

I have just finished packing my bag. It weighs a ton. My mum is on her way over with another suitcase for me as the one I planned to take has a dodgy zipper (I'm allowed 2 but I have so much stuff to take over that I may end up paying for another bag! we shall see) and scales used to weigh suitcases. We shall see how heavy it all is and work out if I can take everything. I've accumulated so much stuff from all the donations and all the things I've bought to take over. I didn't realise just how much until I tried to pack it all. Thanks so much to everyone that has donated both money and items for me to take. I really appreciate it.

I've not been feeling too well this week. Justin was ill earlier in the week and I've felt run down and sick the last few days. Feeling quite sick today but I am hoping its more excitement and nerves then any real sickness. I shall be topping up with vitamin C today and hopefully off out for a goodbye dinner with Justin tonight!

The next time I update this will be from Ghana. Thanks again to all those who have helped make this possible and given so much for the kids. I really am very grateful.

Talk to you all soon!

Corrie




No comments:

Post a Comment